News: Commission to introduce stricter limits to detergents criteria
Commission policy officer Kristine Dorosko announced the update at the Cleaning Products Europe Conference in March 2017.
Friday, 21st April 2017
Kristine Dorosko said the new criteria had been finalised and endorsed by member states in November 2016, following a two year revision process.
The major changes are:
- microplastics will be banned from products;
- removal of the derogation for fragrances classified chronic category 3 (H412);
- stricter requirements on preservatives that allow only a sufficient dose to preserve the product;
- bio-based products must be sourced from sustainable plantations with certification required for palm oil, palm kernel oil and their derivatives; and
- packaging using 80% recycled materials is exempt from all other packaging requirements.
The update will cover the following six product groups:
- all purpose cleaners and cleaners for sanitary facilities;
- hand dishwashing detergents;
- dishwashing detergents;
- industrial and institutional automatic dishwashing detergents;
- industrial and institutional laundry detergents; and
- laundry detergents.
After the new criteria come into effect in June, companies holding the Ecolabel will have a 12-18 month transition period to adapt to the new requirements.
The next revision will take place in five years.
Criteria for Converted Paper Products extended to 31st December 2020
The current EU Ecolabel criteria for Converted Paper Products expired on 2nd May 2017. The Commission has published a Decision in OJEU extending the validity of these criteria to 31st December 2020.
EU Ecolabel criteria for Textiles amended
The European Commission has recently published a decision in the Official Journal of the EU (OJEU) amending the EU Ecolabel criteria for the award of the EU Ecolabel to textile products.
Revised criteria for 6 product groups published in the Official Journal of the European Union (OJEU) on 12th July 2017
The revised criteria for Hand Dishwashing Detergents, Hard Surface Cleaners, Industrial & Institutional Dishwasher Detergents, Industrial & Institutional Laundry Detergents, Laundry Detergents and Automatic Dishwasher Detergents have been published.