News: EU GPP Criteria for Textiles Products and Services
Thursday, 15th June 2017
The EU GPP criteria for Textiles Products and Services is to a large extent based on the EU Ecolabel criteria for textiles.
This is an area with a high annual spend by public authorities in the area of military, police and fire fighter uniforms as well as for hospital staff.
A major change from the existing GPP criteria for textiles (dating back to 2012) is the introduction of textile services, an emerging market with a high potential to reduce environmental impacts.
The draft criteria have the potential to help considerably reduce environmental impacts of textiles and their costs. Some of the most likely impacts are the following:
• Purchase textiles that contain recycled materials or are made from fibres which are produced using less fertilisers, hazardous pesticides and production chemicals
• Purchase fabrics that do not shrink during use, that are constructed to be more durable in use and which have longer lasting functional coatings
• Purchase textiles or textile services which minimise the energy used to wash, dry and iron textiles
• Contract services which maintain textiles in order to extend their lifetime
• Contract services which maximise the potential for re-use and recycling of textiles at the end of their service life.
The new criteria are available in English; the other official EU languages will be available soon.
The criteria will be presented in the framework of an EU GPP Helpdesk Webinar on 28 June, 14.30-16.00. More information can be found here
Transitional period for revised EU Ecolabel criteria for Detergents extended
Commission Decision (EU) 2017/1214 set revised criteria for various types of detergents. In order to give current licence holders more time to adapt their products to comply the transitional period has been extended from 12 to 18 months
Extension of validity of existing criteria for Printed Paper and Rinse-off Cosmetics and 2 other groups being considered
A written vote has taken place to extend the validity of criteria for 4 product groups: Printed Paper, Rinse-off Cosmetics and Absorbent Hygiene Products.
Revised criteria for 4 product groups approved at the June meeting of the EU Ecolabel Regulatory Committee
The revised criteria for copying & graphic paper, newsprint, tissue paper and lubricants were approved at a meeting of the EU Ecolabel Regulatory Committee on 29th June 2018.