News: EU GPP Criteria for Textiles Products and Services
Thursday, 15th June 2017
The EU GPP criteria for Textiles Products and Services is to a large extent based on the EU Ecolabel criteria for textiles.
This is an area with a high annual spend by public authorities in the area of military, police and fire fighter uniforms as well as for hospital staff.
A major change from the existing GPP criteria for textiles (dating back to 2012) is the introduction of textile services, an emerging market with a high potential to reduce environmental impacts.
The draft criteria have the potential to help considerably reduce environmental impacts of textiles and their costs. Some of the most likely impacts are the following:
• Purchase textiles that contain recycled materials or are made from fibres which are produced using less fertilisers, hazardous pesticides and production chemicals
• Purchase fabrics that do not shrink during use, that are constructed to be more durable in use and which have longer lasting functional coatings
• Purchase textiles or textile services which minimise the energy used to wash, dry and iron textiles
• Contract services which maintain textiles in order to extend their lifetime
• Contract services which maximise the potential for re-use and recycling of textiles at the end of their service life.
The new criteria are available in English; the other official EU languages will be available soon.
The criteria will be presented in the framework of an EU GPP Helpdesk Webinar on 28 June, 14.30-16.00. More information can be found here
EU Ecolabel criteria for Televisions extended and amended
The TV's criteria have been extended and amended to reflect changes in the efficiency of TV's and pending the adoption of a new set of energy efficiency classes to replace the existing energy labelling and eco-design requirements for TV's.